Skip to main content

Grace and Food

I had a fabulously unproductive weekend, and much needed after Friday's workout. Jenna and I decided to have a "Grace" off. "Grace" is 30 reps ground to over head for time (clean and jerk). I have done this workout with 85# in 3:26, 95# in 3:50, and 135# in 6:27. All three were really hard and my lungs burned (among other things) afterward especially after the 85#. I thought 3:26 was going to be impossible for me to beat. My training has not been consistent for several months now, and I suffered a minor back injury just over 2 weeks ago and just started going full weight again. I no longer feel any pain or discomfort aside from some stiffness after, however it feels a little shaky under heavy weights. Plus after my injury I've had some trouble staying focused on a good diet, and I was really nervous that I was not going to beat my previous time. I chose 85# for speed (and some other reasons), since Jenna was trying to beat a 2 min and change time she set earlier that week with 55#. I should also mention that Jenna is 31 weeks pregnant, so this will be quite the task for her. All I want to do is keep up with the pregnant lady! With a video camera, counters, and an audience we took off at 3-2-1 go! I didn't want to drop it until I had to, but I forgot and dropped at about rep 7 or 8, but tired to quickly recover I think almost half of the workout I was not centered. I felt good until rep 15 and started to feel tired, rep 20 really tired my form felt horribly sloppy and toes-y. I could hear Jenna's shoes, click and clack, I tried to match but couldn't keep up. She finished in 1:47, and I in 2:18! Oh did my lungs BURN! A PR of 1min 8 sec! I can't believe it! I would have never thought I could to 45# that fast, let alone 85#! Video coming soon!

I am still having trouble getting back off the crack of my diet. Ice Cream (Moose Tracks!), pizza, cream, cheese, and few other delicious autoimmune disease filled dishes have really been hard to kick this time around. I was pretty good Oct-Dec being able to easily battle cravings, but January and increasingly through now, cravings have gotten harder to ignore. Its totally a mind game for me, and I am lacking mental toughness. At home I eat pretty good, but I have darn near quit trying when I go out. I need to dig in and re-group. I've had good results in my workouts on Paleo, but I was a not satisfied with my physical changes (or I guess lack of!) and I didn't really feel any different. Aside from some workout PRs, they only other difference I think I came across was with my slack training is that I was rarely sore. Last year this time I was sore ALL the time. Moaning and groaning like I was 100 years old. Thinking it was my diet, I am not starting to wonder if massage and acupuncture has also helped in my lack of soreness. Hmmm. Or maybe it was all of the above? In my quest to find focus in my diet I am playing around with how I want to "dial" it in this time, in an effort to keep performance results up, and now looking for more physical changes. How to do that? Less protein? Lower Carb? Adding dairy again? At least trying to eat more vegetables and trying remain "Paleo" without going insane. Above is a picture of my dinner tonight. I had a lazy morning, and took a dip in the hot springs this afternoon. When I came back I was STARVING! I had country style boneless pork ribs, bacon wrapped asparagus, and steamed broccoli with a homemade hollandaise type sauce. Mmmm delicious, and hit the spot! Now if I only had some Moose Tracks ice cream!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fran and a Rant

I'm still running around busy as usual and not really training. I have been having trouble in my front squats. The right side of my back feels like its about to blow when I hit 195# in sets of three. The first one goes alright but the next two are frightening. I haven't gone up in weight for fear I will really pull something. Plus its really hard! I am pretty sure I have done over 205# for three to five. But I also thought that was on vimeo but I guess that was only like 165# or 175# so maybe I really haven't done sets at 205. Hmmm. I set a max pullup record. Old record was like 11 or 12, got 16 the other day. I think I could have done more if I regripped a little better but I lost it and fell off. I am still horrible at pullups. And finally I attempted "Fran" today (21-15-9 reps of 65# thrusters and pullps for time) I was dreading this. I can't even remember the last time I did this I think it has been over 6 months but I know my time was 6:46. I was hop

This was AWESOME!

I tried the intro to trapeze a few weeks ago, but his was a lot more intense! I went to an aerial fabric dancing workshop. This was very challenging but a lot of fun. Especially because have a problem with being up high (I wouldn't say I am afraid of heights- I just happen to panic when I notice I am up high that's all). I don't think I would have been able to do this had I not gone climbing/bouldering a few weeks ago and got a little more comfortable with my strength and trusting myself.  Also I officially climbed the rope at the gym for the first time the day before, again the up high thing.  So the first picture I am doing the 'gazelle' (?)oh  I wish I had pointed my toes.  The next pictures I don't know what the moves were called but I got to do a drop.  You get your legs wrapped in the fabric (the diaper- wow uncomfortable- you can see my butt being squished), and you have to pull yourself up, pull your legs through, cross and pull legs through again.  Th

Feeling tired

Well after my 2k I started to get a bit of a tickle in my lungs.   I thought maybe it was a little left over "Grace" lung from a few days prior, but thinking back I felt like pooh after my 2k like shaky and achy.  The next day I was really sore and achy too.  It was a downhill spiral after that.  My dear friend Erika from Tacoma, WA came to visit me!  I thought it had only been a year or two since I last saw her, it has been 6!!  Too long!  She came to visit and I proceeded to cough more and sound worse.  I got an awful rough sounding voice from all my coughing. After my throat healed up the cough changed and suddenly my ribs felt like they were going to bust.  In particular the right side, which I cracked in high school, but no lump this time.  Then last week on the car ride home to ND my left side started to ache.  I tired to workout at home the first day went alright, the second was painful and slow, and my rib was quite angry after wards. I am thinking in one