Skip to main content

Fran and a Rant

I'm still running around busy as usual and not really training. I have been having trouble in my front squats. The right side of my back feels like its about to blow when I hit 195# in sets of three. The first one goes alright but the next two are frightening. I haven't gone up in weight for fear I will really pull something. Plus its really hard! I am pretty sure I have done over 205# for three to five. But I also thought that was on vimeo but I guess that was only like 165# or 175# so maybe I really haven't done sets at 205. Hmmm.

I set a max pullup record. Old record was like 11 or 12, got 16 the other day. I think I could have done more if I regripped a little better but I lost it and fell off. I am still horrible at pullups.

And finally I attempted "Fran" today (21-15-9 reps of 65# thrusters and pullps for time) I was dreading this. I can't even remember the last time I did this I think it has been over 6 months but I know my time was 6:46. I was hoping the next time I attempted this workout I would would get under 6, but my training has been terribly inconsistent I thought I was doomed. I was thought if I fought I could PR, but figured sub 6 would be out of the question. My other goals was to get all rounds of thrusters unbroken. The damn 15 rep round is the worst! I always have to break it up. This time it was a fight to get to 8 and then finished the last 7. Pullups felt the best they ever been, something was finally clicking. I still didn't do many in a row, but they felt a little better than previous pullup workouts. I still had to rest, a lot. My end time was 5:56. PR by 50 seconds. Wasn't expecting that. :)

I think a large contributor to my success has been my diet. However, I have to really wonder "is it really?" I have been pretty good on the "Paleo" for about 2 months. And I gotta say, all that feels different is now when I do eat gluten I get siiiiick (I had some carrot cake at thanksgiving that I paid for shortly after). I've read all these paleo blogs, and hear all these people talk about how awesome they feel, how energetic they are now, how their skin cleared up, lost weight, gained strength, amazing body composition changes, cured diseases, disorders, brought dead pets back to life etc. Me? I feel the same, look the same. I still have zits, I get tired like I used to, I haven't lost or gained any weight, body composition is the same, strength...eh I don't feel strong, (I felt strong this spring) I don't feel fast (I'm not sure I ever felt fast). Even during this workout, I didn't feel stronger, better, faster, more energetic than previous "Frans" not on this diet. It felt like every other "Fran" before it...hard. I know people argue that its still the same kind of hard but you're going so much more intense than before...blah blah kind of stuff. But when I did 5000# ground to over head or "Grace" or even "Annie". I felt FAST. Faster than I had done those movements before, and for the next 20min after. This just felt the same, so was I lacking intensity? Was it really my diet that helped? Or whatever it was in the pullup I figured out. I'm not sure what was going on. I have made HUGE changes in my diet over the past year, and especially in the last two months, and I am still waiting for it to click. When does my aha moment happen? Is there something I am still missing? Am I not strict enough? Have I not done it long enough? Was I that overweight to begin with? Is it stress? Or am I just a giant whiner? I plan on continuing the paleo diet for awhile, but if in 6 months I still feel, sound, look, act the same. I'm putting some damn cheese on my burger.

Comments

Angie said…
I would give anything for your Fran time!

It is interesting to read your take on paleo and its effects on your strength and energy. I've wondered how it would work for me, if I would end up with any different results. It's a huge commitment. I admire you for trying, but I'm curios too how you'll feel about it in 6 months. Hmm...
Meriah said…
Angie- Thanks for the comment!

Fran isn't my strength at all, darn pullups! Its taken me over 2 years to get to a sub 6 Fran.

As far as the diet, it has been over six months and I continue to perform well, but still don't feel or look different. The past month I've fallen off the wagon pretty badly (comparatively speaking) and am lacking in mental toughness to get back on the horse. This time around I want to pay a little more attention to protein and carb amounts, and really try to get at least the physical changes I am looking for in additional to performance. I think my Fran time would improve if I was lighter/leaner.

Popular posts from this blog

This was AWESOME!

I tried the intro to trapeze a few weeks ago, but his was a lot more intense! I went to an aerial fabric dancing workshop. This was very challenging but a lot of fun. Especially because have a problem with being up high (I wouldn't say I am afraid of heights- I just happen to panic when I notice I am up high that's all). I don't think I would have been able to do this had I not gone climbing/bouldering a few weeks ago and got a little more comfortable with my strength and trusting myself.  Also I officially climbed the rope at the gym for the first time the day before, again the up high thing.  So the first picture I am doing the 'gazelle' (?)oh  I wish I had pointed my toes.  The next pictures I don't know what the moves were called but I got to do a drop.  You get your legs wrapped in the fabric (the diaper- wow uncomfortable- you can see my butt being squished), and you have to pull yourself up, pull your legs through, cross and pull legs through again.  Th

Feeling tired

Well after my 2k I started to get a bit of a tickle in my lungs.   I thought maybe it was a little left over "Grace" lung from a few days prior, but thinking back I felt like pooh after my 2k like shaky and achy.  The next day I was really sore and achy too.  It was a downhill spiral after that.  My dear friend Erika from Tacoma, WA came to visit me!  I thought it had only been a year or two since I last saw her, it has been 6!!  Too long!  She came to visit and I proceeded to cough more and sound worse.  I got an awful rough sounding voice from all my coughing. After my throat healed up the cough changed and suddenly my ribs felt like they were going to bust.  In particular the right side, which I cracked in high school, but no lump this time.  Then last week on the car ride home to ND my left side started to ache.  I tired to workout at home the first day went alright, the second was painful and slow, and my rib was quite angry after wards. I am thinking in one