Skip to main content

Here we go....

Today's marks the first day of a new diet experiment.  Well not entirely new, but kinda.  Lets do a little back tracking.  On my dieting/lifestyle changes in around October 2009 after attending CF Nutrition cert with Robb Wolf.  I decided to give Paleo a serious go.  Everyone had a blog talking about all these great changes upon going Paleo, weight loss, feeling great, performing well, the world becoming a new a brighter world. Well I quite frankly didn't really have any of that.  I didn't really lose any weight.  Performance did well, but I had never plateaued, so was it diet or just getting better at CF?  I will say I think it did help with my recovery and soreness, but other than that I didn't FEEL any different.  Other then when I cheated, then, then I paid a mighty price...but only sometimes.  My stomach became bipolar.  One day good eating 'good', another bad while eating 'good'.  And both of the opposites there too.  I never dropped a pound.  I felt OK, but not good, and I had definitely BAD days.  Eventually in a round about way I eventually found nightshades and I could no longer be friends.  Thus causing bad guts on days I ate 'clean'. And eating them with at least gluten dulled the ill effects of the nightshade...why I had good days eating badly.  However with the nightshades I lost a few pounds, especially noticeable in my face.  I now sat at 162#-165#.  Meh.  I felt I look sloppy.  Like someone who works out a lot obut eats a lot of pizza and drinks a lot of beer.  I did neither. I was still performing decent (somedays I had it somedays just didn't).  I felt like I should look better for the amount of effort I put into diet and exercise.  Plus I have been thinner, and I am far from a six pack so I know it is possible, there is some to lose.  Then suddenly last September/August I really started to feel like my clothes were fitting better and I like how I looked in them. I weighed myself at 158#.  Thinking it was just an accident, but it stuck for a few weeks and eventually down to 155# and 152# at my lowest (that wasn't food poisoning related).  I was super jazzed and was still performing really and strength was doing well too.  Snatch PR of 154 (w/in 1 pound of BW! at the time).  Still having some belly issues sometimes but all in all not too shabby and I finally felt better about how I looked.  I got rid of all my old clothes, finally!  Then Christmas hit and pants felt a little tighter got on the scale at the Holidays, oops got too laxed and now up to 160#.  Oh well a Whole 30 challenge was coming up I'll get back down to it there.  I started the Whole 30 at162#, 30 days meat, veggies, little fruit, and some nuts and seeds, no alcohol.  At the end of the 30days I was 160# and felt awful.  The entire 30 days, I made 1 half solid....elimination.  Otherwise I made #1 for #2.  For 30 days.  I also was having trouble STAYING asleep.  I passed out by 9 or 10 like champ and anywhere between 1am and 3 would wake up and be wide awake and alert.  So I started dong laundry, cleaning, etc.  Making me more exhausted by days end.  We finally figured out what was causing that and eliminated it, and I had been eliminated before right at the weight loss and added back in about the time of the gain again.  I was excited for things to get better again and things slowly got better, sleep wise and digestively. Weight wise, nada.  Then we found a possible Thyroid issue, worked on that.  No changes.  By March I was now back to 168#-172#, but my stomach feels better.  I am now heavier than I was before I lost the nightshade inflammation.   I gained all the weight (and then some) I lost by not doing anything different, by doing the same thing that lost it.  I went qualified and competed in regionals and finished 18th overall out of about 30.  I'll take it.  I did notice as sectionals went on my energy got worse.  I got some virus the Monday before regionals and spent an entire night throwing up, and the next day in bed with slight fever.  By Friday was top 6 going into Saturday.  Although WOD 1 didn't go as well as I hoped (I felt so weak), I did well in the thruster wod.  Super stoked to be there and excited for DL box jump.  2-3 weeks prior I did 21-15-9 dl ring dip with 225 and it felt good so this 205dl was going to be cake!  WRONG!  I was sore and tired and just fried.  It felt heavier than 185#, form was crap everything.  Frustrating.  Next was I was really, really sore and tired.  the 100s.  By the time I hit 30 pullups I was down to singles.  My grip was completely shot, and my hands torn and bleeding.  I was so embarassed.   I was the last one off the bar by 2min.  I was never good at pullups but this was really really bad.  KB I struggled with my judge trying to figure out what I need to do to do them right.  Once we understood eachother it came down to grip.  I couldn't hold on.  Double unders were easy, aside the fact I couldn't hold on.  I finally got to OHS and my legs felt great, but couldn't hold that bar up!  I got 40 OHS, considering how far behind I was there were still a lot of people on OHS.  I'll take it. Stupid grip.  I didn't make it to the next day and I am sooooo ok with that.  My forearms hurt so badly, I had to pump my gas with two hands.  By the time I hit Missoula (3 hours from home 7 after my from my departure) I was in tears, I couldn't hold onto the steering wheel it hurt so badly.  The next week I rested, by choice.  But I couldn't do a damn thing if I wanted.  I couldn't hold onto anything.  I couldn't row (that was the most painful) I couldn't pull up without my forearm completely straining and pulling.  I even hurt it closing the window.  2 weeks of pain, and finally got better, and energy was still low.  I still struggle with grip frying too fast and energy being low.  And my weight.  I did somethings to help de-stress my mind hoping that would work.  Nada.  As I am starting to undo my less stressed work I decided to try something new again.  It was recommended by a friend who I have watched get good results in her first montn or so, so I am hoping this could work for me.  Today was my first day, of a 10 day run, and I knew it would be tough, I didn't expect day 1 meal 1 to be so tough.  It took me over an hour to put down all the food.  It is sort of a lot, but not really ( I have put down more pizza in shorter time), I am also learning that foods I don't like are hard to eat in mass quanities.  Avocados...oh man you...you...you...ugh there are no words!  You may gag me, but you will not defeat me.  I finished eating at 8:45am (started 7:30am), it is now 2pm and still kinda full.  I still have 2 meals to go. Oh my.  I am trying to stay focused on the goal.  This will work!  This Will Work!  This WILL Work!  This WILL WORK!  THIS WILL WORK!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fran and a Rant

I'm still running around busy as usual and not really training. I have been having trouble in my front squats. The right side of my back feels like its about to blow when I hit 195# in sets of three. The first one goes alright but the next two are frightening. I haven't gone up in weight for fear I will really pull something. Plus its really hard! I am pretty sure I have done over 205# for three to five. But I also thought that was on vimeo but I guess that was only like 165# or 175# so maybe I really haven't done sets at 205. Hmmm. I set a max pullup record. Old record was like 11 or 12, got 16 the other day. I think I could have done more if I regripped a little better but I lost it and fell off. I am still horrible at pullups. And finally I attempted "Fran" today (21-15-9 reps of 65# thrusters and pullps for time) I was dreading this. I can't even remember the last time I did this I think it has been over 6 months but I know my time was 6:46. I was hop

This was AWESOME!

I tried the intro to trapeze a few weeks ago, but his was a lot more intense! I went to an aerial fabric dancing workshop. This was very challenging but a lot of fun. Especially because have a problem with being up high (I wouldn't say I am afraid of heights- I just happen to panic when I notice I am up high that's all). I don't think I would have been able to do this had I not gone climbing/bouldering a few weeks ago and got a little more comfortable with my strength and trusting myself.  Also I officially climbed the rope at the gym for the first time the day before, again the up high thing.  So the first picture I am doing the 'gazelle' (?)oh  I wish I had pointed my toes.  The next pictures I don't know what the moves were called but I got to do a drop.  You get your legs wrapped in the fabric (the diaper- wow uncomfortable- you can see my butt being squished), and you have to pull yourself up, pull your legs through, cross and pull legs through again.  Th

Feeling tired

Well after my 2k I started to get a bit of a tickle in my lungs.   I thought maybe it was a little left over "Grace" lung from a few days prior, but thinking back I felt like pooh after my 2k like shaky and achy.  The next day I was really sore and achy too.  It was a downhill spiral after that.  My dear friend Erika from Tacoma, WA came to visit me!  I thought it had only been a year or two since I last saw her, it has been 6!!  Too long!  She came to visit and I proceeded to cough more and sound worse.  I got an awful rough sounding voice from all my coughing. After my throat healed up the cough changed and suddenly my ribs felt like they were going to bust.  In particular the right side, which I cracked in high school, but no lump this time.  Then last week on the car ride home to ND my left side started to ache.  I tired to workout at home the first day went alright, the second was painful and slow, and my rib was quite angry after wards. I am thinking in one