Skip to main content

Report from the Games

I took a few days rest before the games, probably 1 or 2 more than I should have, but oh well. I wasn't top contender ready anyway. My goal for the games was to complete all 3 workouts as Rx'd, then under the 12min time cutoff. Then I ideally in the top 50% of those females that did it was Rx'd, but Id settle for top 50% overall. There are three workouts announced the week before that we were to complete in about 24-30 hours of each other. Best times win. Top 5 males and females qualify for the Nationals in Aromas, CA in July. Three of us competed Myself, Jenna, and Justin.

9am Saturday
WOD #1 of the
Rocky Mountain Regional CrossFit Games
3 Rounds For Time (limit of 12 min)
8 reps of 195# Deadlift
400m run


9:25
So that time was good enough for 3rd from last of the Rx'd, My goals were going to be tough to meet with a start like that. I wanted to run faster, but really just couldn't. I knew I was not first so I took my time on the DL I really didn't want to hurt myself. Overall not my best work, but could have been worse.

During the lunch break there was a "Spectator Event" there were two logs with handles cut into them one was 145# (men) the other 100# (women). Who ever could clean and jerk the logs the most in 1 min one the log. Loni was going to try since no other females were signing up, but her max was 105# so Jenna tired. Due to its robustness its really awkward to pick up let alone clean and jerk so Jenna couldn't quite get it even though it is far from her max. So I volunteered. All I had to do was 1 and it was ours as long as no other women tried. I tried a practice it was really hard. The clean was awkward and more like a reverse curl, then finding balance with it on my chest was really difficult. I was going to stop at one, but i was going to be really mad if someone last min came out and did 2. I had 6 attempts, however dropped one before I got it under control so a total of 5, good enough to win it! After I dropped it I discovered the less time I spent with it on my chest the easier it was. winning that log made my whole trip and made my arms so sore.....wonder if that will bother me in the next WOD?

2pm Saturday
WOD #2
3 Rounds For Time (limit of 12 min)
10 Chest to Bar
10 reps 105# Front squats
10 Burpees


11:49
The first set of pull ups were the best I have ever done! And the most in a row. I flubbed #8 because I was excited, I had never done that well in pull ups before! I love the look on my face in the pullup pic. "PLEASE LET THIS ONE COUNT!" I did all 10 FS in a row and burpees. Round 2 was another story. I did 5 pull ups, jumped off and did 3 more thinking sweet only 2 more look at my judge and he says 5! I wasn't getting proper standards CTB pullup so I had to redo them. I bet I did close to 20 pullups that round. I finally made it past 5 to 9 and then got stuck on 9 for an eternity! I couldn't feel the difference between the ones that did and did not count, super frustrating! I was pretty tired after the pullups but kept bellaring though. 3rd round of pullups I had to redo a few, but this was much faster than round 2. I got done with my front squats and saw I had less than 45 seconds to get 10 burpees done or I was DQ'd. And I don't mean the ice cream! I pushed harder than I probably ever had before and finished with 11 seconds to go. Nice part about finishing last you can crash and not worry about anyone else dropping their weights on you because they are all done! 13 women did not make the time cut off. After this WOD I was still 3rd from last, but 16th from last of all those who attempted it. A lot of people struggled with the heavy front squat. I many not have done all unbroken, but it wasn't that bad. The poor girl behind me had blood curdling screams on every squat, glad that wasn't me. Jenna, my partner in crime at the gym finished with the fastest time of all the women in this WOD by 30 seconds! 5:33 was her time, that is ridiculously fast!

10:40am Sunday
WOD #3
For Time Move 5000# from ground to overhead any way you want using one of these rep and weight schemes. (12 min time limit)
100# for 50 reps
85# for 59 reps
65# for 77 reps
55# for 91 reps

100# for 50 reps in 8min 40sec
I went for it. I figured I was already 3rd from last which wasn't much worse than dead last so why not. I was pretty sure I could do it in 10 so why not! I thought there would be at least 1 or two people who thought so too. Nope, I was the only female to choose 100# and actually the only competitor to chose the max weight (men's was 155# for 40some reps and 7000# total). 8:40! Not even close to the fastest but faster than 26 other people!

Rx'd. However if you did not finish in the 12 min limit they gave you a time of 12:01 and kept you in the rankings instead of DQing them. Which is a little annoying in my small competitive bone because they didn't finish. If you run a 400m but stop at 300m in 2 min then and add 1 second because you didn't make it to 400m in time you did not run 400m in 2min 1sec. I didn't get a faster time by making extra attempts on my pull ups. So if they didn't complete all their reps in time why did they get 12:01? Rant done. So if you take out all the 12:01's I finished 38th out of 41. Still 3rd from last but I hit 2 of three goals, and learned a ton about myself. I can push harder in my daily workouts, and not die. I did it in Denver I can do it in Bozeman. Strength is not my weakness, wind is along with mental toughness.>

**Thank you Rocky Mountain Regional CrossFit Games page for the pictures!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fran and a Rant

I'm still running around busy as usual and not really training. I have been having trouble in my front squats. The right side of my back feels like its about to blow when I hit 195# in sets of three. The first one goes alright but the next two are frightening. I haven't gone up in weight for fear I will really pull something. Plus its really hard! I am pretty sure I have done over 205# for three to five. But I also thought that was on vimeo but I guess that was only like 165# or 175# so maybe I really haven't done sets at 205. Hmmm. I set a max pullup record. Old record was like 11 or 12, got 16 the other day. I think I could have done more if I regripped a little better but I lost it and fell off. I am still horrible at pullups. And finally I attempted "Fran" today (21-15-9 reps of 65# thrusters and pullps for time) I was dreading this. I can't even remember the last time I did this I think it has been over 6 months but I know my time was 6:46. I was hop

This was AWESOME!

I tried the intro to trapeze a few weeks ago, but his was a lot more intense! I went to an aerial fabric dancing workshop. This was very challenging but a lot of fun. Especially because have a problem with being up high (I wouldn't say I am afraid of heights- I just happen to panic when I notice I am up high that's all). I don't think I would have been able to do this had I not gone climbing/bouldering a few weeks ago and got a little more comfortable with my strength and trusting myself.  Also I officially climbed the rope at the gym for the first time the day before, again the up high thing.  So the first picture I am doing the 'gazelle' (?)oh  I wish I had pointed my toes.  The next pictures I don't know what the moves were called but I got to do a drop.  You get your legs wrapped in the fabric (the diaper- wow uncomfortable- you can see my butt being squished), and you have to pull yourself up, pull your legs through, cross and pull legs through again.  Th

Feeling tired

Well after my 2k I started to get a bit of a tickle in my lungs.   I thought maybe it was a little left over "Grace" lung from a few days prior, but thinking back I felt like pooh after my 2k like shaky and achy.  The next day I was really sore and achy too.  It was a downhill spiral after that.  My dear friend Erika from Tacoma, WA came to visit me!  I thought it had only been a year or two since I last saw her, it has been 6!!  Too long!  She came to visit and I proceeded to cough more and sound worse.  I got an awful rough sounding voice from all my coughing. After my throat healed up the cough changed and suddenly my ribs felt like they were going to bust.  In particular the right side, which I cracked in high school, but no lump this time.  Then last week on the car ride home to ND my left side started to ache.  I tired to workout at home the first day went alright, the second was painful and slow, and my rib was quite angry after wards. I am thinking in one